Translate

Monday, November 15, 2010

Mr. Blackwell Exhibit in Colorado part 1

Recently I've returned from a teaching trip to Ft. Collins CO.  Maureen took me for a little side trip to the Colorado State University Campus. We visited the Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising to see the exhibit of Blackwell garments:  Mr. Blackwell, A Retrospective.

This is a totally amazing exhibit, the last time I was this excited about a special exhibition was when I saw the King Tut show in Chicago.  In another lifetime, I was very interested in retailing and fashion. I've long given that up, as I only wear jeans and T-Shirts now!  But the dresses designed by Mr. Richard Blackwell are couture up close.

 This is a type of sewing, both hand and machine that I've not seen in many years.

 
This beautiful silver gown would make a princess feel special. The bodice of the crepe-back satin gown is beaded with bugle beads and rhinestones. There are 2 rows of bugle beads at the lower edge of the hem. The full skirt drapes softly over a purple net petticoat. This is such a magical feminine dress. Can you tell this was my favorite?

No comments: